Whenever you install a WordPress blog, you will find that all of your posts are automatically being categorized as “uncategorized.” In case you forget to assign a post to a category, WordPress will publish it as “uncategorized” in default. That’s why there are a ton of posts listed as uncategorized if you don’t have in the habit of assigning the category for the post. It actually makes your site look unprofessional 😔
How can you get rid of this?
You can either choose the new category or rename this default category.
- Change the default category
- First, you need to create a new category by visiting Posts → Categories and create a new one. If you have a category to use as default, you can skip this step.
- Go to Settings → Writing section. In the “Default Post Category” option, please pick your newly created category from a drop-down menu.
- Click “Save changes” to store the setting.
- Now, that uncategorized is no longer the default category. So you can easy to get rid of it. You go to Posts → Categories again to delete and it will be gone.
- Rename the Uncategorized category
You cannot delete the default category, but you can rename it. You only need to visit Posts → Categories and click on the “Quick Edit” link as the image below:
After that, you will be prompted to a screen where you can change the name of your category and its slug.
Comment below if this helped you 🙂